Tuesday, December 29, 2015
London is tipped off to threat of ‘Paris-style attack’
London, is among other major European cities that have been forewarned about the possibility of a shooting or bomb attack on or before New Year's Eve, a new report says.
The terror alert originally handed to Austrian police on Saturday from a "friendly" intelligence service says sleeper cells are planning to hit Western targets, according to the British daily, the Express.
The report said this prompted police across the continent to increase security to prevent a Paris-style November attack on an unknown location in Europe.
The warning made specific mention of the threat to people in “crowded spaces” and warned that the strike could take place between Christmas and New Year.
The report pointed to the Austrian police statement that said, "In the days before Christmas a warning was sent out by a friendly (intelligence) service to numerous European capitals, saying that it could come to an attack involving explosives or a shooting between Christmas and the New Year in crowded spaces."
"Several possible names of potential attackers were mentioned, which were checked, and the investigation based on (these checks) has so far yielded no concrete results.”
Scores of people were killed and hundreds of others injured in the French capital Paris on November 13 in the deadliest attacks to hit the country since the Second World War.